[Avodah] Kitniyot

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Mar 29 12:57:28 PDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 09:31:38AM -0500, Lisa Liel wrote:
>> What I meant to say is that yovel can't be counted toward the 7 year
>> cycle. Therefore, shemitah should be 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, and 8 years apart.
>> (As the Rambam says in the next halakhah, 1:7).

> It's a machloket.  Rabbi Yehuda and Rabbi Meir, I believe.

Yes, Eirukhin 24b.

R' Meir, Rashi (Eirukhin 32b), Rambam: skip yovel when counting shemittah
R' Yehudah, Geonim's qabbalah: count yovel

But that's off topic.

Getting back to our discussions: The Rambam gives his shitah on how
shemittah is supposed to work, but tells us it's trumped by the qabbalah
we got from the geonim.

Which I am using to buttress the idea that halakhah must be reasonable
in its application of the legislative and interpretive rules, but may
not be logical a priori.

And, related to the discussion about the Maharal, RCV, Hilkhos Shogegin
and Horios, thus one can't expect those not taught and practiced in
those rules to reason out the halakhah where the it no one accepted
ruling (by the sho'el's community).

:-)||ii!

Micha Berger             Today is the 3rd day
micha at aishdas.org        in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Chesed: What is perfectly
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            balanced Chesed?