[Avodah] Minhagim for Baalei Teshuva

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Mar 24 18:59:16 PDT 2013

On 24/03/2013 7:59 PM, Kenneth Miller wrote:
> In any case, I would be surprised to learn that baalei teshuva of Ashkenaz ancestry, or geirim of Ashkenaz batei din, are allowed to simply choose to decline accepting any established Ashkenazi minhag such as kitniyos. But I have learned a lot here on Avodah, and I'm eager to lean more.

It's my understanding that gerim are allowed to choose; at least, I know
one ger who converted with R Bomzer z"l, who was an Ashkenazi, but chose
to adopt minhagei Sfarad, and R Bomzer seemed to have no problem with that.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to