[Avodah] Kitniyot

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Mar 22 13:13:17 PDT 2013

I think one must distinguish between an actual mistake, of the sort that
would have made the original authority change his mind had it been brought
to his attention, and defying the original authority because "we know better".

In the case of kitniyos, there is no mistake, Besamim Rosh is a known forgery,
and all the Ashkenazi poskim take it very seriously.  The fact that they work
so hard to justify a heter in case of food shortages proves how seriously they
take it.  For someone now to come and say they were all full of nonsense is
beyond chutzpah.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to