[Avodah] The Cup for the Visitor: What lies behind the Kos Shel Eliyahu?

Harry Maryles hmaryles at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 19 16:07:23 PDT 2013

There is no visitor. That is a Bubba Maysa  - perhaps designed for children.
The source for the Kos Shel Eliyahu is the Machlokes about whether thare are 4 or 5 Leshonos of Geula... the 5th Lashon being the word V'Heveiso. That would call for a fifth cup of wine. (IIRC The Rambam actually drank a 5th Kos but that is not our current Minhag). We still pour a fifth Kos to symbolize that 5th cup. It is called the Kos Shel Eliyahu because the Machlokes will be settled by Eliyahu upon his arrival pre-Moshiach.
HM

Want Emes and Emunah in your life?

Try this: http://haemtza.blogspot.com/