[Avodah] Fwd: A Different Approach to Sheidim

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Mar 15 13:11:07 PDT 2013

> The term sheid is often translated, unsatisfyingly, as "demon".

That translation is indeed unfortunate, and I think is the cause of much
misunderstanding.  I think a better translation is "fairy" (or "faerie",
if one is into modern fantasy).  Sheidim are the Fair Folk, sometimes
helpful, sometimes hateful, who don't quite exist and yet have tangible
effects.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to