[Avodah] Lecithin in Chocolate KLP

Kenneth Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Mar 14 06:42:51 PDT 2013

R' Meir Rabi asked:

> Can anyone explain why chocolate with lecithin is a problem
> during Pesach?
> Even if lecithin is Kitniyos, it is not a majority of the
> chocolate, it is not visible to the naked eye and it is not
> added for the express purpose of making a KLP product?

I do not understand what you mean by "for the express purpose of making a KLP product". Is the sugar or the cocoa added "for the express purpose of making a KLP product"?

It seems to me that that sugar is added for the express purpose of making a sweet product, and the cocoa is added for the express purpose of making a chocolate-flavored product. My understanding is that lecithin is an emulsifier, and is added for the express purpose of keeping the cocoa and the cocoa butter mixed well, which results in a smoother tasting (or smoother feeling?) product. If one would concede that lecithin is kitniyos, then wouldn't this purpose be enough to say that it was added lechatchila and that it should not be batel?

Akiva Miller