[Avodah] komah zekufa

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 11 16:30:39 PDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 07:08:16PM +0200, Eli Turkel wrote:
: What does the issue of komah zekufa (OC 2:6) mean?

The source is Berachos 43b, where it spells out 4 amos, and the MB
notes that the 4 amos falls out by the time you reach the SA.

Yuma 8b explains "'vatelakhnah netuyos garon' (Yeshaiah 3:16) -- shehayu
mehalkhos beqomah zequfah". Similarly, Hil Dei'os 5:8 says that a talmid
chakham shouldn's go "beqomah zequfah vegaron natui". It sounds to me
like the English idiom "walks around with their nose in the air".

And I think that's the meaning in the SA as well. 2:4 refers to putting
on your shoes, 2:5 refers to taking them off, and 2:6 is saying that
one should not walk around with airs on in between.

What I find odd is that it refers not only to carrying oneself as a
baal gaavah, but also to healthy self respect. For example, see Rashi
on Vayiqra 26:9, "Verhirbeisi eskhem". He defined HQBH's promise of
"vehirbeisi" as "beqomah zequfah".

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l