[Avodah] HKB"H doesn't give anyone a test they can't pass

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 11 08:33:59 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:41:01AM -0400, David Riceman wrote:
> I wrote:
>> << (but I found neither source): "Ba'asarah nisyonos nisnaseh Bilam
>> uvkulan lo hishgiah bahem">>.
>>
> It's in Aderes Eliyahu Balak 22:30 Mahadura Tinyana (p. 382).  He
> doesn't cite a source in Hazal.

And saying Bil'am didn't pass isn't saying that Bil'am /couldn't/ pass.
The question wasn't whether people fail nisyonos, but whether every
tragic event is a passable nisayon. But again, I think every *test*
Hashem gives us is passable, but for simple language resons. If Hashem
knows there is no "passing", it's not a test.

I think the fact that we have the term nisayon and the term yisurim means
that not every tragedy is necessarily a test. Aside from the fact that
we've all witnessed people who faced yisurim that cracked them. Are we
ready to label all such Holocaust stories (to pick an extreme example
for clarity) "failed nisyonos"?

Micha Berger             A pious Jew is not one who worries about his fellow
micha at aishdas.org        man's soul and his own stomach; a pious Jew worries
http://www.aishdas.org   about his own soul and his fellow man's stomach.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter