[Avodah] Kitniyos Oil and Chamets Crumbs

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Mar 10 18:17:58 PDT 2013

On 10/03/2013 7:57 PM, Meir Rabi wrote:

> There are a number of rather important observations to note from this.
> 1)  The Rema and Mishne B have no problems with Kitniyos oils. Their
> concern is for the Kitniyos and Chamets substance and even that does not trouble them too much at all. One need take no precautions to prevent such substance from dripping into our food during Pesach.

Wrong.  These are the *additional* problems that one *might* have thought
would exist with oil that was made in chametz kelim, and might forbid even
a mixture, and therefore one would think that such oils may not even be
used for lighting on the same table as food, but in fact this is not the
case, and even such oils may be used for lighting.  They may *not* be eaten,
not because of the chametz kelim, but because the kitniyos themselves are
forbidden, and the oil is no better than what it was made from.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to