[Avodah] carrying an ID card on shabbat

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Mar 10 14:13:07 PDT 2013

On 10/03/2013 11:33 AM, Kenneth Miller wrote:
> On a side note, I'll point out that although the SSK does not allow going out with spare buttons, he does offer a solution to the ID card problem: 18:22 - "It is mutar for anyone to go out to a Reshus Harabim during a war or other emergency with his identification, by transporting it k'l'achar yad, such as by inserting it into his hat, provided that he is going to a dvar mitzvah, to tefilah, or to learn Torah."

The Netherlands is not in a war or other emergency.  The chance of being
challenged for ID is small, as is the fine for being caught without it.
The heter for a shvus dishvus letzorech mitzvah requires that the mitzvah
is impossible without it.  In a time of war one can easily justify that,
because going out without ID is not a viable option, so the only alternative
is staying at home and not do the mitzvah; but in today's Netherlands there
is a viable alternative that allows one both to avoid carrying and to do the
mitzvah: simply ignore the law.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to