[Avodah] Fwd (JID): "Who Says There Are No Coincidences?" by R' D. Glasner

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Wed Mar 6 13:22:52 PST 2013

I always understood the idea as being related to "ein mazal l'Yisrael".
That is to say, for Jews, possibly excepting those who are porek ol,
hashgacha pratit operates on a very tight level.  That the ordinary laws
of history and nature don't apply to us.  The example I always heard was
lottery tickets, the idea being that when a non-Jew buys a lottery
ticket, he wins or loses based on probability.  But when a Jew buys one,
at least a frum Jew, he wins or loses based on whether God determines he
should win or lose.  And that therefore (this was the correlary), one
shouldn't buy more than a single lottery ticket for a given drawing
(other than for charitable reasons), because it demonstrates a lack of
emunah, since if God wants you to win, one ticket is enough.

Lisa