[Avodah] nashim and betulot

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Feb 26 08:40:12 PST 2013

On 26/02/2013 11:30 AM, Gershon Dubin wrote:
> I was wondering something else.  How is it that Ahashverosh apparently
> limited himself to one wife at a time;  his other appetites would have
> me thinking that Vashti and then Esther were only "reishis ha 'harem'
> if you'll excuse a Purim pun but that there were plenty more where they
> came from?

Of course.  That's explicit in the pasuk:  "Lo tavo od el hamelech,
*ki im chafetz bah hamelech venikre'ah veshem*".  And I don't think anyone
imagines that in the 30 days since he had last summoned Esther he had been
sleeping alone.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to