[Avodah] Haman and Amaleik

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sat Feb 23 21:08:23 PST 2013

On 23/02/2013 11:49 PM, Micha Berger wrote:

> Sancheirev was defeated at Y-m in 3213. His dispersal of Amaleiq had to
> be before this.
> Purim was in 3404. 191 years later. More so if one questions the
> literalness of Chazal's history.
> Okay, we could identify beruach haqodesh that Haman was from Amaleiq.

Why are you so sure we need ruach hakodesh?  His father and he might well
have identified as Agagim.  After all, 250 years after the Cajuns were
exiled from Acadia, they are still an identifiable people.

> AMD, if it is possible to pick out Amaleiqim beruach haqodesh, does this
> mean that if Eliyahu haNavi were to see a baby that happened to be from
> Amaleiq, he would be mechayev to kill her?

IMHO, the chiyuv is to wipe out the memory of Amalek, and that has already
been done.  There is no identifiable Amalek any more.  I don't think the
fact (if it is one) that there are physical descendants still alive matters.
There's no such nation any more; nobody remembers them except, ironically,
from the Torah.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to