[Avodah] How do Chabad deal with the Amen of Krias Shema

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Feb 20 07:51:57 PST 2013

On 20/02/2013 12:32 AM, Liron Kopinsky wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 20, 2013, Zev Sero wrote:
>     On 19/02/2013 5:09 PM, Dr Isaac Balbin wrote:

>>> How though, as a Chabadnik or anyone else who follows this practice, do
>>> you deal with a Chazan who says the Bracha loudly and clearly.
>>> Do you say it word for word with him, like others?
>>> Do you simply ignore what he said and not answer?

>> It's a problem, not just for Chabad but for everyone, which is precisely why
>> Chabad has the minhag of avoiding it by not being heard.

> I know some shuls, where the rav is an accepted Talmud Chacham, who Davka
> say amen out loud right before shema.

And therefore?  They've paskened the shayla to their own satisfaction;
they've decided that it's not a hefsek after all.  Does that somehow make
the shayla disappear for the whole world?  They can pasken in their shul,
but for the rest of the world it's still a machlokes and a shayla which
one can either confront or avoid.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to