[Avodah] Is Panentheism Heresy

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Feb 1 12:59:16 PST 2013

On 1/02/2013 3:29 PM, Jonathan Baker wrote:

> Continuous revelation!  Which is how the Reform talk about revelation, and
> how (R' Brill characterizes) the chasidim think.  Since the term was
> floated by the Reform, the Chasidim, who really believe in it, will
> quickly demur that that's what they're doing. I suppose it could be
> justified in the chasidic system as improving perception of the divine
> reality that underlies the finity of the "real world".
>
> If you're going to believe in the Chasidic system, you have to believe
> in continuous revelation insofar as the system depends on revelations:

Very different.  Reform's idea of "revelation" is someone having an idea,
with no way of verifying that it's true, let alone knowing where it comes
from.  It's all made up.  How can you compare that to Eliyahu Hanavi and
Achiya Hashiloni coming from the Other World to teach the Arizal and the
Baal Shem Tov, etc?  That is not some wishy-washy "inspiration", it's
direct communication of hard data from one person to another.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to