[Avodah] Birchat Ha Gomel

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Jan 30 11:24:16 PST 2013

On 30/01/2013 1:00 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 09:31:53AM -0800, martin brody wrote:
> : the 4 instances when re recite Birchat Ha Gomel  are all from the Exodus.
> : Crossing  the sea =Red Sea
> : Crossing the desert  = Sinai
> : Released from captivity = Enslavement
> : Recover from illness = Idol worship
>
> Tehillim 107 lists these four elements of Yetzi'as Mitzrayim, which
> Berakhos 54b has R' Yehudah tying to [Qorban] Todah and Abayei links to
> birkhas haGomel.

The origin of the four is of course from that capittle, but I don't see
anything explicit in there about Y"M.  That's a very plausible *drasha*,
explaining where David Hamelech got the idea, but it isn't in the words.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to