[Avodah] tfilat haderech and birchat hagomel

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Jan 29 10:27:06 PST 2013

On 29/01/2013 5:43 AM, Rich, Joel wrote:
> I know we’ve discussed issues of tfilat haderech and birchat hagomel before but does anyone have anything on the “perceived danger” threshold that might differentiate between them (e.g. a trip where I might say one but not the other?)

I don't think tfilas haderech depends on the perception of danger; one
says it whenever one travels out of ones city, and not (at least not with
shem and malchus) if one drives all day on dangerous roads within the city.
Hagomel OTOH is said for the four statutory occasions (though for some
reason deserts seem to have dropped out), even if there was no perception
of danger, but *also* in any situation where there was a real danger.

--
Zev Sero               A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and
zev at sero.name          substantial reason' why he should be permitted to