[Avodah] economics 101

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 9 16:55:23 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 06:35:16PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:

>>> On food.

>> Onaas mamon applies to all commodities except avadim. As long as there
>> is a shaar (a going rate, which is why I used the word "commodities")
>> and it's metaltelim.

> This has nothing to do with ona'ah.  You are confusing two completely
> unrelated topics.

I don't know why you say that, but in any case, it doesn't make onaah
evaporate either. So brass-tacks, the profit is limited either way.
But I have no idea why you think there are two issurim about profits of
1/6 and they're unrelated.

What BM 40 is discussing is cases where a barrel might absorb enough
(and depending how the barrels are lined), or dregs might constitute
enough, etc... to constitute onaah. How much is considered a normal part
of the deal.

Micha Berger             "I hear, then I forget; I see, then I remember;
micha at aishdas.org        I do, then I understand." - Confucius
http://www.aishdas.org   "Hearing doesn't compare to seeing." - Mechilta
Fax: (270) 514-1507      "We will do and we will listen." - Israelites