[Avodah] Shituf

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jan 9 10:35:33 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 11:02:37AM -0600, Lisa Liel wrote:
> Tosfot, which is often used as a support for shituf being permissible
> for non-Jews, says nothing of the sort...

The Tosafos in question are Sanhedrin 63b d"h "asur le'adam" and
Bekhoros 2b d"h "shema yischayeiv lo aku"m shevu'ah".

Actually, see RJDBleich, "Divine Unity in Maimonides, the Tosafists and
Me'iri" pg 239 in "Neoplatonism and Jewish Thought" published by SUNY
in 1992. <books.google.com/books?id=m0yhkWuqIqYC&pg=PA239>

RJDB notes that R' Tam can be read either way, but that the weight of
mesorah since is to take him as saying. IOW, there is one way to read
it that is more natural to Lisa and RMJB, and then there is the Noda
beYehudah's way. (Fn 7 is not in the Google preview, and I couldn't find
the mar'eh maqom in the NbY myself.) Although, unlike Lisa's flat denial,
RMJB does find the NbY's reading to fit the text. (Just less "literal".)

Micha Berger             Despair is the worst of ailments. No worries
micha at aishdas.org        are justified except: "Why am I so worried?"
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507