[Avodah] Psak in Machshava

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jan 7 03:28:14 PST 2013

On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 01:02:47PM +0200, Daniel Eidensohn wrote:
> *Chasam Sofer (Y.D. 2:356)* R' Hillel who is quoted in Sanhedrin (99a)
> as rejecting salvation through Moshiach but asserted [according to
> Rashi] that G-d Himself would directly save the Jews...

I believe it was this kind of thing that motivated R' Joel Rich
to include the parenthetic comments in his original question:
: I think we've discussed the general issue of psak in machshava (or at
: least in the ikkarim)...                      Eruvin 13b specifically
: uses what IIUC is the language of psak in a case of machshava (unless
: there is a halachic implication to whether we would have been better
: off created or not)

There is a halachic implications inherent in accepting the concept
of iqarim: They define the limits of rebellion for which one could be
labeled a kofeir, apiqoreis or min. They impact who we can count toward
a minyan, whose wine we may drink, the chovos halvavos side of qabbalas
ol mitzvos before geirus, etc...

Micha Berger             None of us will leave this place alive.
micha at aishdas.org        All that is left to us is
http://www.aishdas.org   to be as human as possible while we are here.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Anonymous MD, while a Nazi prisoner