[Avodah] What date was the Torah given?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Jan 2 10:35:04 PST 2013

On 2/01/2013 11:30 AM, Akiva Miller wrote:
> Shtaros? The practice of dating all legal documents seems quite ancient.

But no more ancient than the calendar itself, which was only two months old
at the time.

> So if they knew Asher's birthday, the date of Matan Torah would
> presumably be even more memorable, as R' Marty Bluke asked.

They knew the date of matan torah with no less certainty than they knew
the date of Asher's birth!

On 2/01/2013 12:28 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> 8:4,5,14. I assumed, though, that dates before HQBH handed Benei Yisrael
> control of the luach, there was an objective and automatic definition
> of these dates.

Or even that these dates are all arrived at by projecting the calendar
backwards, just as we speak of dates BCE.  (Have you heard about the coin
that was found, dated "50 BC"? :-) )

--
Zev Sero
zev at sero.name