[Avodah] PARSHAS HACHODESH DISCUSSES THE PROCLAMATION OF THE NEW MOON AND NEW MONTH

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Mon Mar 4 08:20:56 PST 2013

In thinking of one of the Hebrew words for moon LEVANAH
something occurred to me in looking at the spelling.
The first two letters (lamed, beis) spell heart.
the last two letters (nun, hay) can spell "noha" which can mean
lamentation or strong yearning.

We are a lunar oriented religion (calendar, rosh chodesh, very first mitzvah to the Jews "observance of the New Moon", etc.).
Therefore the connection I see is that just as the moon waxes and wanes, so, too, our hearts also wax and wane.

Translation results for: NO'HA

(literary, rare) strong yearning, longing; following

(flowery) lamentation, bemoaning, wailing