[Avodah] Amen of Krias Shema

D&E-H Bannett dbnet at zahav.net.il
Sun Feb 24 02:54:42 PST 2013

A number of times we've had repeats on list of the answering
or not answering Amen after ga'al Yisrael and before kri'at
sh'ma'.  The custom of not answering amen seems to  have
arisen after the meaning of the pos'kim who recommended it
had been forgotten.  They no longer knew that there are, or
were, two types of Amen. One is a reply of consent that
cannot be a hefsek. The other is  a sign that of conclusion
of a section of the prayers that is the hefesek itself.

I copy below a summary on the subject that I wrote on Avodah
in the past. I hope it explains more than it confuses.

From: "D&E-H Bannett"

<dbnet at zahav.net.il

I've been more or less following the thread on the custom of
the chazzan not saying ga'al Yisrael aloud in shacharit so
as to avoid anyone saying amen. Mention was also made of
it's somewhat less popular kid brother, not saying
"ha-bocher b'amo Yisrael b'ahava" and "ohev 'amo Yisrael"
out loud. The first custom is to be somekh geula to t'fila
and the second to be somekh ahava to sh'ma'.

It was interesting that some posters insist that answering
amen is altogether wrong as it is a hefsek while others
insist that the b'rakhot should definitely be said aloud and
amen answered - each with sources to back it up. But what
was most interesting was that what I awaited to see never
appeared - how and why these two opinions developed. So,
here is my opinion.

The usual amen indicates acceptance and agreement with the
brakha, a "me-too" or "count me in". The idea that this is a
hefsek is very peculiar. When one person makes kiddush for a
group answering "barukh hu uvarukh sh'mo" is a hefsek
because this is a custom with no halakhic basis. If
answering "amen" were a hefsek, those answering would not be
yotzei yedei chovat kiddush. Has anyone ever heard that,
when one person makes a brakha to motzi others, they cannot
answer Amen?

Let's look at something slightly related. The Gemara in
Bavli Brakhot 45: states two opinions.

1. It is m'shubach to answer amen to one's own b'rakha.

2. It is m'guneh to answer amen to one's own b'rakha.

The contradiction is easily solved. It is m'shubach in bonei
Yerushalayim (in birkat ha-mazon). It is m'guneh in other
brakhot.

The importance of one not saying amen to one's own b'rakha
is shown in the halakhic instruction that when teaching a
small child to make a b'rakha by having him repeat word
after word, one should not say Amen when the child finishes
as this would teach the child to say Amen himself.

But every Ashkenazic Jew does say a self-Amen in Bonei
Yerushalayim. Obviously, it is not a "me too" type of reply,
and not a reply at all.

Let the Ashkenazi glance at the siddur of\a Sefaradi friend.
There is a self Amen after Yishtabach. There is another at
the end of shemoneh esrei in ha-m'varekh et 'amo Yisrael
ba-shalom. There is one at the b'rakha melekh m'hulal
ba-tishbachot at the end of hallel (but not in the same
b'rakha in barukh she-amar). Another self-Amen appears in
Ma'ariv in shomer (et) 'amo Yisrael la'ad at the end of
hashkivenu. Oh, of course, there is also one in Bonei
Yerushalayim.

All have the same reason.  Bonei Yerushalayim is the end of
the "official" birkat ha-mazon. Similarly, Yishtabach is the
end of p'sukei d'zimra; Hamvarekh et 'amo Yisrael is the end
of shmoneh esrei; mekekh m'hulal ends Hallel, Hashkivenu
ends "official" ma'ariv. The self-amen is not a reply of
agreement  to anything. It is a signal that indicates the
end of a chativa, a single section or group of prayers.

To return, finally, to the original topic, ga'al Yisrael in
shacharit and ahava before sh'ma', let's look at some
rishonim who talk about self-amens.

The Rashba, Rosh, Raviah, Or Zarua, Meiri, and others,
mention self-amen mostly with respect to geula and ahava.
Obviously, the others were accepted without question, but
there was another opinion about these two. The Or Zarua
mentions the Yerushalmi as his source, but I couldn't find
it, so it is probably no longer there. The Rosh quotes the
Rambam as saying a self amen only after a section of prayer
that includes two b'rakhot.

Old siddurim:

Sa'adia Gaon has a self- amen in ahava but none in geula.
Siddur Ha-g'onim of Shlomo ben Natan has a self-amen in
geula but none in ahava.

Sa'adia considers ahava the end of the pre-sh'ma' section.
It has two b'rakhot which is the minimum required by the
Rambam for a section. Therefore it has a self amen. The
post-sh'ma' segment has only one b'rakha, and so does not
have a self amen. In ma'ariv, there are at least two brakhot
after the sh'ma so the final b'rakha before shmoneh esrei
has a self amen.

 R' Shlomo ben Natan considers both the pre- and post- sh'ma
brakhot together with the sh'ma' as a single section and,
therefore, it has a self amen at ga'al Yisrael. As Ahava is
in the middle of a section, it doesn't get a self-amen.

Ashkenazim dropped all except the one mentioned in Gemara
Brakhot. Sefaradim retained all except those that were
questionable.

Conclusion:

Self-Amens have nothing to do with answering a b'rakha but
are signs of an ending. Whether the brakhot of geula and
ahava deserve a self-amen indicating a section end is
questionable. As the need for such a signal is not that
important, poskim decided that one should not say a
self-amen at these two brakhot as it might impair the
s'mikhat geula litfila or perhaps also ahava li-shma' or the
separation or the unity of both pre-and post sh'ma'
b'rakhot. (See Saadia and Shlomo ben Natan above.) Over the
generations, the concept of an end-signal Amen was forgotten
and the "not saying amen" was interpreted as applying to the
"me too" or count me in" type of amen, that of agreement or
joining to yotzei yedei chova.

Logically, the koach of semikhat geula lit'fila can cancel
only an amen atzmi but not an amen chova.

All the above is a historical story. It is not a
recommendation by me to change an established custom,
neither that of ending ga'al Yisrael silently nor that of
ending aloud to enable an Amen reply.

BTW, as a ba'al tefila, I still end ga'al Tisrael silently
as I was taught in my youth many long years ago. But, if I
hear a chazan's ending of the brakha, I answer Amen.

k"t,

David