[Avodah] If you implement a Triennial Torah reading cycle well, what about Simchat Torah?

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Thu Jan 24 02:58:54 PST 2013

 From http://tinyurl.com/auxv4u2

I thought it would be interesting to post my rendering of the vote
about whether or not to retain Simchat Torah in the Reform Synod at
Frankfurt in 1845.

The background is, of course, that the Reform rabbis were trying to
implement liturgical reforms, to modernize the services, to both
attract people and avoid repelling them, and do it in a way that was
consistent both in Reform theory and in practice. So in this, the
second of three such assemblies, held in Frankfurt A.M.[1]  between
July 15 and 28, 1845, many questions were discussed.

As part of the process of reforming, modernizing and streamlining
services, the assembly had approved of implementing a Triennial cycle
of reading the Torah. This would of course have the effect of
shortening the Torah reading by one third which is something that
people who look forward to Parshat Nitzavim can understand. Old
sources showed that in ge'onic times (and later) the Torah was read
and completed every three years, while our custom of reading it in
one year, and celebrating Simchat Torah on the second day of Shemini
Atzeret arose in Babylonia. The question therefore was, should
Simchat Torah be celebrated only every three years? Or annually? Or
at all? Here is what they said:

See the above URL for more. YL