[Avodah] Hair Covering and Jewish Law

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Thu Jan 3 15:54:01 PST 2013

Hair Covering and Jewish Law: Biblical and Objective (Dat Moshe) or
Rabbinic and Subjective (Dat Yehudit)?
Rabbi Michael J. Broyde
http://traditiononline.org/news/_pdfs/0095-0180.pdf

Spoilers:
Everything that I have written is meant only to justify the halakhic
practice of modest Jewish women. As a rabbi of little stature, I have no
intention of deciding halakhic practice for the entire community in
opposition to the rulings of the great decisors of our generation. I
only wish to point out that there are many Rishonim who rule that the
prohibition for married women to go with uncovered hair is a subjective
rabbinic violation dependent on societal norms of modesty(and dat
yehudit), not a biblical prohibition (and dat moshe). Women and families
who have a clear custom not to cover their hair should know that there
is a firm foundation for such a practice in the Rishonim and Shulhan
Arukh, even if such a view is rejected by the great Ahronim of our day.