[Avodah] Definition of Religion

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Sep 27 14:44:25 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 02:40:56PM +0200, Ben Waxman wrote:
> Start with the second chapter of Shmirat Shabbat K'Hilchata. He says it
> there clearly and brings all of the relevant source material.

I think though, there is a drift from the impression left by the
original Areivim post.

I thought you were originally saying that the heter to cook on YT is
limited to only including that which needs to be cooked on YT. This
would be a chidush, and I shared RYL's surprise.

Now we see the issue isn't melakhah, but simchas YT (so as not to be
cooking all YT), and not just permitting what must be cooked on YT
but what which would be enjoyed more if cooked on YT. IOW, there is no
problem planning fruit soup on the menu, even though having a different
appetizer wouldn't necessitate waiting until YT to prepare it. Now is
there a requirement to put up with 2nd-class fruit soup.

Or, for that matter, if you want omelets. (Just thinking of another food
I wouldn't enjoy much reheated.)

Micha Berger             It's never too late
micha at aishdas.org        to become the person
http://www.aishdas.org   you might have been.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                      - George Elliot