[Avodah] Definition of Religion

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Sep 27 13:57:42 PDT 2012

On 27/09/2012 3:54 PM, Prof. Levine wrote:
> At 03:24 AM 9/25/2012, Ben Waxman wrote on Areivim:

>>We are supposed to cook all our food before Yom Tov but if cooking
>>food ahead of time will result in poorer tasting food, we can make it fresh.

> and in later email he wrote, "Start with the second chapter of
> Shmirat Shabbat K'Hilchata. He says it there clearly and brings all
> of the relevant source material.
>
> I have placed the relevant pages from Shemiras Shabbos KeHilchasa at
> http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/cooking_yom_tov.pdf
>
> I fail to see how you deduce from here that "We are supposed to cook
> all our food before Yom Tov."  It says, "Food whose taste will not
> deteriorate at all if it is cooked
> on the day before the Festival (for example, fruit soup) should be
> prepared before Yom Tov.
>
> Fruit soup is a far cry from all food!  YL

Fruit soup is an *example*.  *All* food that can be made before yomtov
without any loss of quality may not be made on yomtov.  The heter to make
food on yomtov only applies if it can't be made beforehand, because it
won't be as good.  Which is exactly what RBW wrote.   This is not in any
way controversial.  There are no other opinions.  It's black-letter law.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion