[Avodah] Definition of Religion

Akiva Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Tue Sep 25 09:17:35 PDT 2012

Prof. Levine asked:

> Please supply a halachic source for your statement "We are
> supposed to cook all our food before Yom Tov but if cooking
> food ahead of time will result in poorer tasting food, we
> can make it fresh."

R' Ben Waxman responded:

> Start with the second chapter of Shmirat Shabbat K'Hilchata.
> He says it there clearly and brings all of the relevant
> source material.

Specifically, chapter 2, paragraph 1. (Sources available there.) Here's my translation:

"A cooked food whose taste will not spoil at all if he cooks it on Erev Yom Tov, such as fruit soup, should be prepared before Yom Tov. If he did not prepare it before Yom Tov, because of forgetfulness or lack of time, he may do so on Yom Tov, provided that he makes a small shinui in the melacha. If he was anoos, such that he had no possibility of prepareing it beforehand, or if guests arrived suddenly on Yom Tov and he could not prepare for them beforehand - he may do so on Yom Tov even without any shinui in the melacha.

"And why did Chazal say that he should prepare beforehand? It is a gezeira lest one hold himself back from doing food-related melachos on Erev Yom Tov, and he might leave them to be done on Yom Tov, when he does not need to go to his job, and it will end up that his whole Yom Tov will be spent on food-related melachos, and he will miss out on Simchas Yom Tov."

Akiva Miller