[Avodah] honoring the deceased's wish

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sat Sep 22 21:53:23 PDT 2012

From: Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org>

>> I seem  to recall someone posting here years ago the notion that we
ignore
requests  that violate minhagim of aveilus on the grounds that we can
assume that the  niftar's wishes have changed now that they are niftar.

Maybe it was  during our discussion of the survivor who wanted to be
buried in their  striped uniform. He wanted to defend himself before the
beis din shel maalah  by being able to point to his garment and declare
that he already served his  time in gehenom, and thus there was only
one place to send him. (In that  case, RMF pasqened that that particular
request should be met, despite the  practice since Rabban Gamliel's day
of burying in white linen.)  <<

The request to be buried in concentration camp clothes strikes me as akin
to the common minhag of burying murder victims who were killed because they
were  Jews in the bloody clothes they were wearing when they died.  These
clothes  are said to arouse Heavenly compassion.

--Toby  Katz
GCT