[Avodah] Metz is fine but not on Shabbos

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sat Sep 22 20:45:29 PDT 2012

On 22/09/2012 9:23 AM, Meir Rabi wrote:

> *My question is quite simple: performing Metz is Chillul Shabbos.
> It is permitted by the Mishnah and Gemara, only because it is
> medically valuable for the baby.

This is absolutely not true. Where did you see such a thing?  It is
permitted becuase it is part of the mitzvah.  This is *clear* from the
fact that when doing a bris on Shabbos, if the mohel notices tzitzin
she'einan me'akvin before the metzitzah, he may remove them, but if he
notices them after metzitzah he may not, because the mitzvah is over.
If your position were correct, how do you explain this?

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion