[Avodah] Metz on Shabbos for hypospadias, but not otherwise

Meir Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 20:21:41 PDT 2012

excellent, I did not know that  minor hypospadias is not necessarily
diagnosed well, tradition made this a blanket procedure. thank you very
much, Rabbiner.

But you are conceding that the reason is NOT because Metz is an Asei or a
part of the Mitzvah of Beris. You are proceeding exclusively upon the
medical considerations. I am fairly sure that Reb Micha is in strong
disagreement.

I can hear now the debate - as I dont think there are any other medical
risks of such negligible magnitude that Halacha deems to be legitimate
reasons to be Mechalel Shabbos. Take heating water for the Rach HaNimol as
an example. I am confident and have verified this with a few doctors here
that hot water may have some benefits in promoting blood circulation and
comforting the baby, but unless a medical reason is mandated by a doctor,
we are not Mechallel Shabbos for this. And I hear echoes of this in your
argument that  it saves the baby from lifelong sexual dysfunction, which is
not a legitimate reason to be Mechallel Shabbos, "or worse" which might be.
BTW, can it be that proper Metz will restore proper sexual function?

Best,

Meir G. Rabi