[Avodah] The root peh-ayin-mem

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Sep 20 13:59:13 PDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 09:39:32PM +0000, Akiva Miller wrote:
: (Rabbi [Matisyahu] Clark begins here)
:
:> PEH-AYIN-MEM -- BEAT DOWN, STRIDE STRONGLY

: The basic meaning that I get from these varied contexts corresponds
: very closely to the English "beat", which is both a noun connoting
: regularity (as in music) as also a verb connoting a strong impact done
: repeatedly. For example, a bell could be formed by being hammered
: repeatedly against an anvil. The regularity of the thrice per year
: is obvious, and it is my wild guess that the singular "this one time"
: was adapted from there.