[Avodah] R Asher Weiss

cantorwolberg at cox.net cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sun Sep 16 14:45:07 PDT 2012

R' Micha wrote: If G-d would prosecute we could never win.

Theologically, this statement is troublesome to me.
HE created us and gave us our nature, as well as
the capacity to choose good over evil. Therefore,
if you say that we could never win, there has to be
a flaw in how HE created us. Why would G-d create
us to always lose. He surely would give us the opportunity
to win, even though it may be difficult. Furthermore, the
oven of Aknai story in Bava Metzia 59a-b supports my
objection in which R' Natan asks Eliyahu: What did HQBH
do in that hour? Eliyahu replied that G-d said: "My sons have
defeated Me; My sons have defeated Me."  So from this, we
also clearly see that G-d did not win. And even if G-d were to
prosecute, the party being prosecuted may very well win, if
deserved through scrupulous behavior.