[Avodah] Sweetened condensed milk

Andy Levy-Stevenson andy at levy-stevenson.com
Thu Sep 6 02:52:10 PDT 2012

From: Lisa Liel <lisa at starways.net>
> I have a cousin who is married to a hareidi guy.  She was just told by
> her husband that he was just told by his father that no matter what the
> hechsher, sweetened condensed milk is treif.

Never heard of that.

 From a quick Google, is it possible that there's some confusion? There
is a fair amount of discussion online about sweetened condensed milk
and Passover ... it often uses corn syrup.

So, I could imagine a situation where there's a Pesachdik version that
Ashkenazim wouldn't use. Therefore, "no matter what the hechsher" it's
"treif" (actually kitniyot, but changed in the transmission).

Or alternatively, it could be a chumra I've never heard of.

--
Andy Levy-Stevenson