[Avodah] Avoiding Sefeikos, Ben Pekuah and Fruit from ChuL

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Sep 4 09:31:43 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 07:42:07PM +1000, Meir Rabi wrote:
:> But the general question of whether it's a bad thing to engineer an
:> avoidance of a qiyum asei in order to avoid poasible issurim is itself
:> an interesting one. It reminds me of the people on-list who preferred
:> eating non-Israeli produce so as to avoid making mistakes in hafrashas
:> teruman uma'aser....

: I should like to make the following observations:
: Requiring Shechita MiDeRabbanan does not promote it to the preferred Torah
: option, if there is such a thing.

I could have cited other examples.

R' Amital contrasted his approach to pesaq with RALichtenstein's. One
Shabbos - Erev Rosh Chodesh, RAL moved his sichah to be after seudah
shelishis, so that once doesn't run into the question of whether to say
Retzei, Yaaleh veYavo or both when benching at the end of shalashudis.
RAL said he would prefer someone pasqen according to his conscience
rather than avoid the question.

: However, BP has only upsides, unless we suggest that Shechita has a
: positive spiritual value, as does removing Gid and Cheilev.

I already said I wasn't thinking in this direction, but now that you
raise it... Shechitas chullin does have linkage to qadshim. So perhaps
it does have "positive spiritual value" beyond just being a matir.

Micha Berger             Our greatest fear is not that we're inadequate,
micha at aishdas.org        Our greatest fear is that we're powerful
http://www.aishdas.org   beyond measure
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Anonymous