[Avodah] Canceling Reservations

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 22 07:44:09 PDT 2012

I CC-ed my post to the Business Halakhah Institute. This was their
reply. Unsurprisingly, pretty much what REMT said, but they add the
topic of "mechusar amanah".

-micha

--- Forwarded message from Gershon Schaffel <gershons at businesshalacha.com> ---

Thank you so much for contacting us and I apologize for the delayed
response. According to Shulchan Aruch "mi shepara" applies when money
was transferred but the customer has not yet taken delivery of the
merchandise. Mechusar amanah applies when there is a verbal agreement
to make a kinyan but neither the money nor the merchandise has yet been
exchanged. I hope this clarifies matters but if not please let me know.

Hatzlacha Rabba,

---
Gershon Schaffel
Business Halacha Institute

Thank you for contacting the Business Halacha Institute Hotline. We
would appreciate any feedback you can offer, as we constantly strive to
improve the quality of our hotline service.

In addition, first-person testimonials are very powerful in encouraging
others to reach out to rabbonim with business halacha shailos. If you
would be kind enough to provide us with a few lines, we would be very
grateful. There is a possibility that we may publish your testimonial. If
you prefer that we do not use your name, please let us know. We will
make sure to only print your thoughts anonymously.