[Avodah] History?

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Tue Aug 21 12:52:26 PDT 2012

Okay, but I think the question is more complicated for us.  Tanakh is
not a history book.  The selections of history that are included in it
are included for teaching reasons.  In terms of what we understand as
history, Tanakh is an extremely biased view, which leaves out so many
(historically) pertinent facts that if we knew the full history of the
times being recorded, Tanakh would look virtually dishonest to us.

For example, there are Assyrian records that show Ahab leading a
coalition of Phoenecian and Aramean states against their Assyrian
overlords (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Qarqar).  There's no
hint of this in the books of Kings or Chronicles.  The Mesha Stele
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesha_stele) describes Omri conquering a
lot of Moab and building in their capitol.  Again, there's nothing about
that in our records.  In the actual historical context, it turns out
that the northern kingdom of Israel wasn't even what we'd call a
kingdom.  It was a number of independent city-states, only somewhat
allied with one another.  Some of our worst kings had major military
victories, and some of our best kings were failures by normal historical
standards.

So the question is whether there's a value for us in learning the actual
history, even when, or particularly when, the picture we gain from it
includes elements that the Nevi'im and Sofrim intentionally omitted,
lest we learn the wrong lessons.

Lisa