[Avodah] Sleeves that Cover the Elbows

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 20 11:54:01 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:30:21PM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
> Perhaps one should classify wearing sleeves that cover the elbow as a
> Hidur rather than a chumra.
>
> The following is from http://tinyurl.com/btzc4vw
>

> Kedusha = Restriction
> by Kedusha
> <http://www.guardyoureyes.com/inspiration/members-chizuk/item/kedusha>

Obviously, from what I just wrote, I do not think this equality holds.
As RSShkop argued, if the Toras Kohanim meant "perushim tihyu" /defined/
qedushah, then what does it do with "ki Qadosh Ani"? What negative things
does HQBH have to be poreish Himself from?

> Source: Chiku Mamtakim, volume II p. 121 (translated from the original
> Hebrew) (emphasis added).
> Rav Shlomo Zalman responded: "Why look for stringencies?  There is no
> need for that.  The main thing is to accept upon yourself to fulfill the
> Halacha on a Lechatchila level."

Rashi (on "qedoshim tihyu") and Rambam (in his discussions of
"lashon haqodesh" and "sheqel qodesh"), not the Ramban. (As
I mentioned last post, I am referring to something I wrote at
<http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2010/11/qedushah.shtml>.) The Ramban says
the main thing is "qadeish es atzmekha bema shemutar lakh". Apparently
he holds that following the halakhah on the lekhat-chilah level is simply
"lekakh notzarta", and not qedushah.

> Since it meant so much to them, Rav Shlomo Zalman acceded to their
> request and gave them the following advice: "All the Chumros and Hidurim
> are not worth a single minor Hidur in matters of Kedusha and Tzeniyus.
> In matters of Kedusha and Tzeniyus, every small Hidur is immeasurable, it
> raises up, sanctifies, and brings a person close to his Creator, as
> Chazal say: 'Wherever you find safeguards against ervah, you find
> Kedusha.'  For someone whose Neshama is thirsty for Ruchniyus, the place
> to begin and the area that is most important is Kedusha and Tzeniyus."

Notice that unlike the anonymous "Kedhusha"'s understanding, this maaseh
does not say that qedushah *is* restriction any more than qedushah will
perforce (at least for people) require restriction. There is no indication
RSZA disagrees with RSShkop's defimition.

Micha Berger             It's never too late
micha at aishdas.org        to become the person
http://www.aishdas.org   you might have been.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                      - George Elliot