[Avodah] The Talmud's Many Demons

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Wed Aug 15 11:16:32 PDT 2012

The problem, as I see it, is that there is a limit to how far these metaphors can go, and this was explicitly addressed in the article cited. I am referring to the procedures which (we are told) can be used to make these demons visible:

> The problem is that the rabbis did not intend it as a metaphor.
> This becomes clear from the ensuing discussion of the effects
> of demons and the ways of making them visible. ... All you have
> to do is find a black female cat who is the firstborn daughter
> of a firstborn mother, burn her placenta to ashes, grind the
> ashes, and put some of them in your eye, and you will be able
> to see the demons. Be sure, however, to place the remainder of
> the ashes in a sealed iron tube, lest the demons steal it from
> you.

I do realize that many wise men of the time, both Jewish and not, believed this stuff. But how should **I** understand it?

I can't tell you how to understand it, I understand it that they were operating on the "best" information they had (not from Moshe misinai but from being "observant") as to how the world operated.  I  encourage folks to consider the famous quote from Theodoric of York in this context (and think about we knew about how the brain operates 50 years ago and today):

"You know, medicine is not an exact science, but we are learning all the time. Why, just fifty years ago, they thought a disease like your daughter's was caused by demonic possession or witchcraft. But nowadays we know that Isabelle is suffering from an imbalance of bodily humors, perhaps caused by a toad or a small dwarf living in her stomach."

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.