[Avodah] Investigating Issues when Learning Gemara

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Aug 9 14:13:39 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 11:44:36PM +0300, Simon Montagu wrote:
: And a general question: I have been reading daf yomi and listening to
: various online shiurim without going into great depth, but in most
: dapim there are one or two issues like this one which catch my
: attention and which I want to investigate further. What are good
: places to look for more in-depth material? I usually look at the
: Maharsha, Maharatz Hayes and Rashash, and then get stuck.

This is where the Hebrew Shteinzaltz is much better than ArtScroll. RAS
lists mar'eh meqomos for those kinds of things.

But the truth is, different kinds of questions get different mefarshim's
attention. The only shortcuts I can think of before when gets a feel
for who gets bothered by what (or those of us only partway there) are:

1- Encyc Talmudit on topics in the first part of the alef-beis.
2- Bar Ilan CD, search for key buzzwords in the text.

Micha Berger             I thank God for my handicaps, for, through them,
micha at aishdas.org        I have found myself, my work, and my God.
http://www.aishdas.org                - Helen Keller
Fax: (270) 514-1507