[Avodah] WHAT IT IS PROPER TO LEARN

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Wed Aug 8 10:37:25 PDT 2012

At 01:07 PM 8/8/2012, R. Joel Rich wrote:

>--
> From an upcoming audioroundup:
>
>http://www.yutorah.org/lectures/lecture.cfm/780602/Rabbi_Aryeh_Lebowitz/Why_Learn_Gemara_An_Appreciation_of_Talmud_Bavli_in_Anticipation_of_the_Siyum_Hashas
>Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Why Learn Gemara? An Appreciation of Talmud
>Bavli in Anticipation of the Siyum Hashas
>
>Sounding very Litvish (my definition - anyone who says with a
>straight face Nasata V'natata b'emunah is a question about your
>learning and not your business ethics). R'Lebowitz explains the
>primary importance of Talmud Torah [especially halacha; agadah is
>only a supplement] as a description of HKB"H.
>Why learn Talmud Bavli and not Kitzur Shulchan Aruch?  1)
>Deeper  understanding of halacha/applications; 2) connects us to
>baalei mesorah (links in tradition)[me - but a real Litvak would say
>connects us to how later baalei mesorah understood the earlier ones
>since else it's academic talmud!]; 3) promotes engagement of student
>with the material; 4) connects us to HKB"H; 5) contains Tanach and
>Misnah and Mussar (i.e. everything); 6) more challenging.

In the introduction to his essay Our Prophets Speak to Us Rav Dr.
Yosef Breuer, ZT"L.  wrote

The following essay on the role of the study of our
Nevi'im appears warranted in view of the incredible
neglect of this vital study area by most of our higher
Yeshiva institutions. This is a phenomenon that probably
has its roots in our recent history. At the time when the
so-called "Haskalah," spreading its vicious propaganda,
tried to expel Talmud study from the educational program
and replace it with the study of Tanach and Hebrew
language, a negative attitude of the Yeshivos towards
the role of Tanach study was understandable. In
our time there is no reason for this attitude. The present
trend towards almost exclusive occupation with the Talmud
leaves the study of Tanach to the individual talmid,
on whose private interest it depends whether he wishes
to broaden his knowledge and understanding of Tanach
beyond that which he acquired in grade school. The
study of Tanach, no less than the study of Talmud,
requires the mature guidance of those who are able to
provide it for our mature youth.

It is the purpose of this essay to demonstrate in brief
strokes the approach to the Books of our Prophets and
the vital significance of this research.

Our Prophets must be read in a spirit of sanctity, for they meet
us as Divinely-inspired leaders, commissioned by God to assist us
in comprehending the enigma of life.

Clearly Rav Breuer did not think that learning gemara was a
substitute for studying Tenach.

Furthermore,  in my original post on this topic I wrote

Mishnah Berurah (155:3): Every day, one must learn Mikra, Mishnah,
Gemara and Poskim. Ba'alei Batim who learn only three or four hours a
day should not learn only Talmud, for then they are not Yotzei.
Rather, they should learn also Poskim, everyone according to his ability.

Clearly the Chofetz Chaim did not think that it was sufficient to
learn just Gemara.

YL

I have posted Rav Dr. Y. Breuer's entire essay at
http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/our_prophets_speak.pdf