[Avodah] Shayala of Onaah

Lisa Liel lisa at starways.net
Wed Aug 8 10:01:07 PDT 2012

How could it be a mekach taut?  From the point of view of the buyer, it
looked like a sale.  In fact, someone posted about it to Facebook, and
if I hadn't gotten there too late, I'd have gotten some of the cheap
tickets.  From the point of view of the reseller (because this was on
Expedia's site and not El Al's), it's hard to say.  If they made the
mistake, as an shaliach of El Al, presumably their shlichut was invalid,
and they had no right to sell those tickets.  So possibly it was even
geneiva on their part.  If there's any cause of action here, it seems to
be that El Al should be able to demand the difference from Expedia.
People who bought the tickets should be free and clear.  And in fact,
while El Al announced that they're going to honor the tickets, they
didn't say anything about taking the loss themselves.

Lisa