[Avodah] Brush teeth after seudat shlishit

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 8 09:50:26 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 06:10:08PM -0400, I wrote:
: On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 12:52:34PM +0000, Akiva Miller wrote:
:: So RMP and I wondered -- Is there a posek anywhere, who advises that
:: on Shabbos, people should try to eat foods which are Oleh Al Shulchan
:: Melachim? Or that advises people to avoid foods which are outside of
:: that category?...

: You mean, who says that chicken cutlets are more appropriate for a
: se'udas Shabbos than tuna fish sandwiches? (At least, in this culture...)

It is clear after some private email that I was being too clever, trying
to roll up two points in one sentence, one overly subtlely.

1- I do believe that junk foods are olos al shulchan melakhim. For
example, Ronald Reagan's famous love of Jelly Belly (brand jellybeans)
<http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/reference/jellybellies.html>,
set out to be available for visting heads of state. Kings do and always
have enjoyed nosh.

2- Therefore, discussions about applying this idea do exist, but
instead talk about having light informal Shabbos meals (like tuna fish
sandwiches), rather than avoiding "kol minei mat'amim".

Micha Berger             In the days of our sages, man didn't sin unless
micha at aishdas.org        he was overcome with a spirit of foolishness.
http://www.aishdas.org   Today, we don't do a mitzvah unless we receive
Fax: (270) 514-1507      a spirit of purity.      - Rav Yisrael Salanter