[Avodah] Tzaar Baalei Chayim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Aug 8 02:43:25 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 11:45:30PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
>> Also because American Law is more likely to ban the results of a
>> crime than Torah is to ban the results of a sin -- ever eat a banana
>> or grapefruit? So perhaps the animal isn't prohibited to him afterward.
>
> Bananas and grapefruits are the results of sin?!  AIUI bananas are
> natural, and while grapefruits are a hybrid between oranges and pomelos,
> this probably happened naturally.

I just meant they are both the products of kelaim.

BTW, banana is a family name, not a species name. Since the 1950s, when
disease killed out the gros michal banana, we generally eat
cavendish bananas, which are seedly because the parent species are that
different. Natural bananas are streight and have many large pits.

> Also, the actual result of the sinful hybridisation of fruit is in fact
> assur, and only the next generation, which was not produced by sin and
> contains none of the substance of the product of sin, is permitted.

Kelaim 8:1: "Kelai zera'im, assurim milizroa umileqayeim, umutarim
ba'akhila."

Micha Berger             In the days of our sages, man didn't sin unless
micha at aishdas.org        he was overcome with a spirit of foolishness.
http://www.aishdas.org   Today, we don't do a mitzvah unless we receive
Fax: (270) 514-1507      a spirit of purity.      - Rav Yisrael Salanter