[Avodah] Rab Dessler's Givers and Takers

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 7 13:51:56 PDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 09:02:23PM -0500, Maxi Yedid wrote:
: Rab Dessler's famous concept of givers and takers was based and/or inspired
: in Baal HaSulam teachings?

Or visa versa, their lives overlapped.
    RYA:  1885-1954
    REED: 1892-1953

The truth is, Tenu'as haMussar really doesn't utilize Qabbalah much. It's
one of the reasons why I, with the inclinations that took me into
engineering, like it. So I think your suggested derivation is unlikely.

Also, it seems to be where thought in Litta or perhaps around the seviva
of Mussar in particular was at the time. Eg R' Shimon Shkop (1860-1939,
about one generation older than RYA and REED) in his haqdamah explains
"na'aseh adam betzalmeinu qidmuseinu" as being a meitiv. How far is that
from REED saying it's about being a nosein?

Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,
http://www.aishdas.org   you must know where to slaughter and what
Fax: (270) 514-1507      parts to offer.        - R' Simcha Zissel Ziv