[Avodah] If you have an electronic water meter, can you turn on yo ur faucet on Shabbos?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Aug 2 11:53:24 PDT 2012

On 2/08/2012 12:09 PM, Doron Beckerman wrote:
> There is almost invariably some kind of clause dealing with a
> malfunctioned water meter.

Only if it's observed to be malfunctioning.  If the meter were simply
not to run on Shabbos you would get your water for free.  Therefore its
running is lo nicha leih.

> it would be lo echpas leih, which we pasken is the same as lo nicha leih.

Who's "we"?  So far the only one I've seen who paskens that way is the
Oruch.  Rashi says explicitly that lo ichpas is *not* lo nicha, and the
Tosfos that REMT quoted either agrees or is neutral.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion