[Avodah] Showering During the Nine Days

Akiva Miller kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Jul 26 04:54:59 PDT 2012

R' Joel Schnur wrote:

> ... BTW, Rav Moshe allowed laundered shirts to be worn during
> the nine days. He held that ONLY starched shirts were forbidden
> for first time use... I spoke with Rav Aron Felder...  In his
> words, it was the "snap" of a starched shirt that Rav Moshe said
> was the issur. When I asked about No-Iron shirts, he reiterated
> "starched shirts because of their snap, that's all."

The Mechaber 442:3 mentions starch in the context of laundry that might contain chometz, so he was clearly aware of this technology. If so, why is it raised in a Nine Days context only by such recent poskim?

Further, if the "snap" is a critical factor, that would seem to apply only to clothes which were pressed (=ironed), yet Mishneh Brurah 551:23 seems to say that such clothes may not be worn until after Tish'a B'Av. (Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what "gihutz" is.)

Akiva Miller