[Avodah] Vespasian

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Jul 25 13:54:22 PDT 2012

On 25/07/2012 3:10 PM, Rich, Joel wrote:
> Any thoughts on the fact that our version of the story has messengers
> arriving from Rome telling Vespasian that the elders had appointed
> him Emperor while the secular version has the armies of Egypt and
> Judea declaring him Emperor and then going to Rome to defeat Vitellius?

The message may not have come from Rome but from Egypt, and "the important
people of Rome" may refer to the army leaders who had decided to make him
emperor.  RYBZ, not being up on Roman politics, may not have understood
these details.

--
Zev Sero        "Natural resources are not finite in any meaningful
zev at sero.name    economic sense, mind-boggling though this assertion