[Avodah] Holier Than Thou

Ezra Chwat Ezra.Chwat at nli.org.il
Tue Jul 24 00:36:11 PDT 2012

Sun, 22 Jul 2012 From: cantorwolberg at cox.net:
> ... What often lacks in topics such as these is common sense. Why is it
> that nobody raises the question of bittul Torah regarding other mitzvot,
> such as hachnosess orchim, bikur cholim and hachnosess kallah?

Bittul Torah and Hachnasat Kallah conflicting with Levayat HaMet are
the two cases dealt with in Talmud Bavli Ketuvot 17a.

The 'Dilma' needed to be pondered is: Do the Halakhic conflicts that
appear in the Talmud gain more of our attention because they're in the
Talmud, or perhaps the conflicts dealt with in the Talmud are truly
more actual over Halakhic history? Or perhaps these are the cases which
most enable Poskim to deduce subsequent conflicts. I would surmise all
are true.

Dr. Ezra Chwat
The Department of Manuscripts/ National Library of Israel
E.J. Safra Campus, Givat Ram POB 39105,
blog: Giluy Milta B'Alma: http://imhm.blogspot.com