[Avodah] The Main Idea of Judaism

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Jul 19 17:58:42 PDT 2012

From: "Akiva Miller" <kennethgmiller at juno.com>

>>  On the other hand, I remember discussing this topic once with one of my
rebbeim.  He gave me the example of where I can choose between learning
this sefer or that  sefer. It is absurd to think that either of them would be
listed as assur to  learn. And as long as I do spend my time learning, can it
be said that there is  a bigger chiyuv to learn from one over the other?

Yet, if one of them  will help me grow more than the other, don't I owe it
to myself to avail myself  of that opportunity? How dare I squander my time
and energy by learning the one  which will help me less! And do I really
think that HaShem doesn't care which I  choose? (Keep in mind that I might not
know which sefer is the better one for my  situation, but that's really
beside the point.) <<

Akiva  Miller

One of the list's talmidei chachamim will provide the exact citation, but I
 am pretty sure that the Gemara says a person should learn what he is drawn
to,  what interests him, what inspires him, what he enjoys learning. No one
person  can learn everything. Different people have different interests and
different  abilities, and people should read and learn the seforim that
most appeal to  them.

--Toby Katz
Romney  -- good values, good family, good  hair